Our upcoming new ZoomDoom Stories/Fatecrafters Studios sister show, “The Six Disappearances of Ella McCray,” is now seeking auditions for eight main roles and several supporting roles. If you like the SPINES brand of Queer Southwestern Body Horror Weird and you are interested in getting involved in our new project, keep reading:
We are seeking auditions for a new audio drama from ZoomDoom Stories. This is a dark supernatural mystery involving conflicting accounts of the events surrounding a missing person’s case. Plot: On March 20th 2014, twenty-seven-year-old Ella McCray disappeared from her engagement party at a Southern Arizona ranch house. Six people witnessed her disappearance. All six provided completely incompatible accounts of what happened. This is the story of their attempts to uncover the truth about Ella’s disappearance and the impossible things the witnesses saw when she vanished.
The first season will consist of eight episodes and will feature eight main characters along with assorted smaller roles. If you would like to audition for a specific part, please record the sample lines provided and email the file to email@example.com with [Name of Character] +[Your Name]+Audition in the subject line. If you would like to audition for any role/supporting roles, write Any Character+[Your Name]+Audition in the subject line and record any sample lines provided. We are committed to developing a diverse case of voice actors and encourage actors of all backgrounds and gender identities to audition. All performers must have reasonably good recording equipment and a space in which to record.
All parts are open until filled.
IMPORTANT: Voice actors must be comfortable with violent and disturbing content, although we make every effort to avoid material that will be triggering and/or exploitative. In addition, all voice actors must be comfortable with queer-inclusive content, particularly same-sex relationships. Finally, all voice actors must agree to communicate with each other either by Skype, phone, Facetime, etc, in order to produce more authentic performances over long distances.
These roles will be unpaid for the first season, but payment will be renegotiated in future seasons if Patreon and advertising revenues cover the cost of production.
Main Characters (American accents unless otherwise stated)
1. Cora McCray: 45, take no shit, pragmatic, ER nurse, single mother of two, blue-collar background. She is a survivor who is prepared to take risks and make difficult choices for her family. She is the mother of Ella, the woman who has disappeared.
Sample lines: Jules. Honey. I need to you to just listen to me on this. He’s never coming back. Whatever happened to Ella, it doesn’t have anything to do with him. Please just trust me.
2. Jordan McCray: 20, quiet, asexual, good student, talent for science, looks up to Ella and July. Jordan finds himself having to grow up quickly when his sister disappears.
Sample Lines: Um, ok, this is Jordan McCray. It’s 5:15 in the morning. We were at the police station all night, and we just got back to the ranch house. Detective Larkin asked everybody to use a voice recorder and document our thoughts and what’s going on.
3. July Calligaris [NOTE: We are only considering trans* performers for this part]: 26, transwoman, assertive, smart, hot-tempered. July is Ella’s ferociously loyal best friend from childhood. She considers Ella, Cora, and Jordan her found family and will do anything to find Ella.
Sample Lines: Ok, dream journal entry for… I don’t know, whatever the fuck today’s date is. I went to sleep for a few hours, right around 3:00 am. It’s been so long since any of us slept, but searching in the dark wasn’t working anyway, so… Anyway. I had really weird, bad dreams.
4. Dalton Reese: 50, white collar, affluent background but also nice guy, peacemaker. Dalton is Ella’s soon-to-be father-in-law. He attempts to take charge of the search effort, but he is also conflicted about his son’s possible role in the disappearance.
Sample Lines: 1) Travis, please, calm down. When was the last time you slept? 2) Ella’s been great for Travis. My son’s a good kid, but he can be so driven, and she reminds him to have fun.
5. Travis Reese: 27, driven, unstable but sees himself in alpha role. Travis is Ella’s fiancé. He is not well-liked by her family and feels isolated and hostile in the aftermath of her disappearance.
Sample Lines: No. It’s a fake. They want us to think she’s alive, so we’ll let our guard down. That’s when they’ll make their move.
6. Sabrina Maron: 34, British, from an affluent background but has fallen on hard times. She is drawn into the investigation through coincidence and knows none of the other characters at the start of the story.
Sample Lines: I just keep thinking about that poor girl. I don’t know, maybe I should have called in sick again, kept helping with the search. But everything just feels so strange out there.
7. Joseph Zielony: Middle-aged, enigmatic but in a way that draws people in and invites trust. Joseph’s origins are unclear, so we are especially interested in auditions from people with authentic non-American accents (any country of origin).
Sample Lines: 1) No, I’m sorry, I haven’t seen her. But I’ll call if I see anything. I hope you find her. 2) I get the sense you know more than you’re saying. Well, there’s nothing wrong with that.
8. Tessa Larkin [NOTE: We are only considering women of color for this part]: Early middle age, African American, competent, professional. She is the lead detective on Ella’s case and is highly skeptical of most of their accounts of the disappearance.
Sample Lines: 1) Can you remember anything specific about the street, something that will help us identify it? 2) That’s probably true, but details might still be important. Do you remember anything else?
Supporting Characters (typically one to two scenes)
1. Narrator: Female voice of the introductory recording at the beginning of each episode. This is a neutral, professional, bureaucratic voice.
Sample lines: The following recordings were taken as evidence in the investigation of Anomalous Event 2014-7457A, also known as the Ella McCray Incident. All were recorded in March 2014.
2. Mitch: 40s, owner of tasting room, amiable
Sample lines: I’m sure the sheriff’s department has a ton of people working on it.
3. Customer: 20s, female, demanding, pissed off
Sample lines: Yeah, uh, we already did that one.
4. Pilgrim: 30s-40s, male, in the midst of hallucination
Sample lines: I walked all night. I walked for so long. Please.
5. Bill: 30s-40s, male, pickup artist type
Sample lines: A beautiful woman like yourself, I feel like I should be the one buying the drinks.
6. Cashier: any age, female, conscientious and helpful
Sample lines: Of course, go right ahead. We’ll make sure folks see it.
7. Peggy: 50, professional woman, highly educated, experiencing extreme stress
Sample lines: I just can’t believe this is happening. What about Travis? How’s he holding up?
8. Esteban: 45, Hispanic, calm and level-headed, blue-collar
Sample lines: Yeah, that’s why I’m calling. I’ve been trying for days, and I just can’t get a flight out of Ketchikan. I’ve never seen anything like it.
9. George Gibbons: 60s, helpful, plainspoken
Sample lines: Oh, now, I’m real sorry to hear that. It’s just terrible, the things that go on in this world. Are the police having any luck?